Purpose and scope
The TAP conference is devoted to the synergy of proofs and tests, to the application of techniques from both sides and their combination for the advancement of software quality
Testing and proving seem to be contradictory techniques: once you have proved your program to be correct then additional testing seems pointless; on the other hand, when such a proof in not feasible, then testing the program seems to be the only option. This view has dominated the research community since the dawn of computer science, and has resulted in distinct communities pursuing the seemingly orthogonal research areas.
However, the development of both approaches has lead to the discovery of common issues and to the realization of potential synergy. Perhaps, use of model checking in testing was one of the first signs that a counterexample to a proof may be interpreted as a test case. Recent breakthroughs in deductive techniques such as satisfiability modulo theories, abstract interpretation, and interactive theorem proving, have paved the way for new and practically effective methods of powering testing techniques. Moreover, since formal, proof-based verification is costly, testing invariants and background theories can be helpful to detect errors early and to improve cost effectiveness. Summing up, in the past few years an increasing number of research efforts have encountered the need for combining proofs and tests, dropping earlier dogmatic views of incompatibility and taking instead the best of what each of these software engineering domains has to offer.
The TAP conference aims to bring together researchers and practitioners working in the converging fields of testing and proving, and will offer a generous allocation of papers, panels and informal discussions.
The conference will include a mix of invited and submitted presentation, and a generous allocation of panels and informal discussions.
The proceedings of TAP 2013 have been published in the Springer LNCS series as volume 7942 (click on the link to access the proceedings).
The contents of previous TAP proceedings are available at: http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~ley/db/conf/tap/
- TAP 2012, the Sixth International Conference on Tests and Proofs, Prague, Czech Republic, May 31- June 1, 2012
- TAP 2011, the Fifth International Conference on Tests and Proofs, Zurich, Switzerland, June 30 - July 01, 2011
- TAP 2010, the Fourth International Conference on Tests and Proofs, Malaga, Spain, July 1-2, 2010
- TAP 2009, the Third International Conference on Tests and Proofs, Zurich, Switzerland, July 2-3, 2009
- TAP 2008, the Second International Conference on Tests and Proofs, Prato, Italy, April 9-11, 2008
- TAP 2007, the First International Conference on Tests and Proofs, Zurich, Switzerland, February 12-14, 2007